Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Sky Cannot Contain Limite

Sorry for the half-pun, but I'm deliriously tired. This will not affect my opinions, however, on Limite because they are strong. I am furious because I have seen a film over 70 years old; a film that is rarely seen yet within it contains a creative and spiritual power that is timeless and and goes under appreciated by virtually every major critic and cinephile I can find on the net. Nothing from Ebert, a paragraph from Rosenbaum. This is simply not enough. Within this film contains the best, the best, visual representation of consciousness I have ever witnessed. The poetic fluidness of the film had me breathless, from the opening scene of an oppressive image of chained hands to the stunning conclusion of the waves of fate burying our protagonists forever in the sea. Within all of these layers pops up continuously how we are limited by the raw and mysterious power of nature that indifferently turns its back to our greatest existential quandaries of purpose and restriction. What fun is had with the images. The spinning cliff shot exudes improvisation and playfulness and Pixotes age and early withdrawal is stuff of film legend. Yet, it mostly falls upon blind eyes. What a pleasant surprise this was and how lucky we were to be able to see it as it was meant. My eyes are open to this new-found breed of cinema I have been exposed to and I am eager for more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tati said...

That was a great post.

Gabe, do you know why this isn't being duplicated or transferred to video and DVD? You got the print from MoMA right? How come no one talks about movies like this? Is it only a matter of time before this explodes?

I don't understand how movies like this go under the radar completely. But at the same time, it is neat to see from a historical perspective. You can't really cite its influence because it was little seen. It makes me wonder about the development of film styles and what effects a movie like Limite could have had if it had opened in European or US circuits.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Gabe Klinger said...

Limite was released on VHS in Brazil sometime in the 90's. There have been no DVD releases and no word of any DVD releases as far as I know. The film has a reputation with some silent film scholars -- Tom Gunning at the University of Chicago is a fan -- but not too many people I've talked to know it. I really wonder why and I hope in our own small way we can change that.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I am in the documentary film program, and it is very easy to be rushed and just throw a camera on someone or something. By 'experiencing' Limite, it opened my eyes to see that we all as filmmakers have an obligation to show a story, not just tell it. Sure, sound is at least 50 percent of a film by today's standards, but by sitting back and watching Limite, it made me realize you can strive to achieve better looking films even when there are "limitations."

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home