Ganga Bruta
I loved Ganga Bruta. It reminded me of Luis Buñuel's L' Age d'or, which came out a few years prior. I wonder if Buñuel's film made it down to Brazil, or if its just a coincidence of like-thinkers. Buñuel was also known for using a lot of Freudian symbolism in his work, though he denied putting it in there on purpose.
The use of Freudian metaphors in Ganga Bruta at first almost seemed too obvious at times until I put myself in the time and place of when this film was made. I doubt the comparison between industry and sexuality was something that happened in a lot in art or film in the 1930s, especially not in Brazil (we'll find out soon enough). The back and forth long shots of the men building the pipe. Those sorts of images connect with the macho fight scenes perfectly.
The men in this film are working, fighting, killing for sex. There are two women in this film, a beautiful blond and an old grandmother. The women are weak. Sonia is beautiful but clumsy and foolish, vulnerable. I don't know enough about Mauro or Mendes to guess if this portrayal is meant to be accurate or exagarrated. I don't really know what this film is saying about gender.
The use of Freudian metaphors in Ganga Bruta at first almost seemed too obvious at times until I put myself in the time and place of when this film was made. I doubt the comparison between industry and sexuality was something that happened in a lot in art or film in the 1930s, especially not in Brazil (we'll find out soon enough). The back and forth long shots of the men building the pipe. Those sorts of images connect with the macho fight scenes perfectly.The men in this film are working, fighting, killing for sex. There are two women in this film, a beautiful blond and an old grandmother. The women are weak. Sonia is beautiful but clumsy and foolish, vulnerable. I don't know enough about Mauro or Mendes to guess if this portrayal is meant to be accurate or exagarrated. I don't really know what this film is saying about gender.

3 Comments:
I was not reminded at all of L'Age D'Or. In fact, the freudian imagery is kind of a weak connection to me. Specifically since, at least in L'Age D'Or, there is not much imagery as much as straight-forward eroticism. Mauro was probably trying to hide these symbols, whereas Bunuel was trying to offend people and be as overt as possible.
Also, L'Age D'or was quite controversial upon its release and didn't even get a US release until the late 70s, so I wouldn't assume that that particular one made it to Brazil.
In terms of story, I was reminded of Murnau's Sunrise, which seems to me as an uncharacteristically morbid tale. Though (without spoiling it for anyone) it has a happy ending, the initial event that sets the story into action is an attempted murder between a man and his wife. the movies starts out in the country and moves to the city, while Ganga Bruta is the opposite. Anyway, that's what I thought of.
I just saw L'Age D'Or for the first time, so I suppose it was just sitting there in my subconscious. I agree, it's pretty unlikely that Mauro saw L'Age D'Or, unless he spent time in Europe. Good point.
I was also unsure of what this film was trying to say about gender. The ultra macho barfight that happened out of nowhere for no reason stuck out to me and it seems that there are no repercussions for the men in this film. They can fight and murder with no consequense. The women were very weak in this film and were only there to serve the men sexually (with the exception of the grandmother). Sonia was portrayed as a beautiful airhead that just dances around on the screen.
Again - whats the message here?
Post a Comment
<< Home