Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Seja bem-vindo!

The above, a typical interjection in Portuguese, means simply "Welcome"!

Anyway, a big thanks to Jon R. for setting this up.

As a way of encouraging participation, I thought I would offer a few guidelines for posting:

1. Try not to be self-conscious about language and grammar and post informally as you would on another web site, blog, or message board.

2. Treat this as a conversation rather than as a series of brief monologues. Pose questions to your class members, to your teacher, and to others who may be lurking on the internet (it might be fun to forward the blog link to your friends and family so that they may leave comments).

3. (Self-)Doubts and (self-)criticisms are always welcome here and may never be scorned or made fun of by other classmates. I can personally guarantee this.
As far as I can tell, you are all curious people, and curious people always have lots of healthy doubts and criticisms!

4. Suggest further thoughts, readings, and resources. Post links to relevant internet articles. Tell us about new and old Brazilian films you may have seen. Also, general musings on Brazilian culture -- music, dance, etc. -- are highly encouraged.

5. Take us into the journey of your thought process -- every idea has a story behind it. Tell us that story, it's the easiest way to start writing.

And lastly, just a few rules we should stick to:

6. No personal/school announcements unless what you're posting is related in some way to Brazil/Brazilian cinema.
Use swear words sparingly or not at all.
Make sure not to clog blog space with large chunks of pasted text (always link to an outside source if possible).
And post something new every week for the next fourteen weeks. This aspect of the class, which I will henceforth call your "progress log", will count for 20% of your overall grade. Fourteen posts -- with no length specification though they must be thoughtful and address some of the basic issues discussed in class -- are the requirement; however, you are by no means limited to only fourteen posts if you wish to write more. Just make sure to participate in some way every week. Each weekly post will count for roughly 1.43% of your total grade.

That's all I can think of for now.

The floor is open.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam Blaszkiewicz said...

Hey. I was just wondering if I have to be added to the blog before I can post entries. I cannot seem to figure it out. I emailed John, so I'm partially posting this just to see if it works. Thanks.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home