Monday, February 12, 2007

A Reflection: Limite

A Reflection: Limite

Limite is a quiet reflection of time: recognizing the beauty and despair of being a part of its passing.

Unlike last week’s Ganga Bruta, I appreciate how this film gives insight into the culture and people of Brazil. The characters in the film represent the faces and true ideology of the time, by forcing its viewers to patiently experience time from their perspective.

It was also great to see an alternative point of view of expectant male and female gender roles. The female characters unlike the male characters of Limite are driving forces within the film- Allowing their existence to be equal and quite possibly more important then their counterparts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tati said...

I really enjoyed Limite and am, well, angry that is is not available in any kind of format. Also, that this was his only movie. How many other time has this happened? Charles Laughton? Anyone else worth mentioning?

I definitely think that the issue of time is important when looking at Limite. But, I didn't quite experience it the way you did. In my viewing, it seemed to lack most temporal indicators, or it just underplayed them. We would see images and motifs brought back several times and the location would jump back and forth. This reminded me of a small aspect of Kieslowski's movies. He often will have close-ups fit in at random times. These are often so quick that you don't even realize them, or realize why they're being inserted at seemingly unrelated times. But often, these images will come up again later.

But, in the way it was shot, I was most reminded of Antonioni. Specifically L'Eclisse (and even more specifically, the last 10 minutes, though I think the whole movie has much in common stylistically).

Limite is an innately cinematic movie. It is a perfect example of the medium. Often we watch movies that could really be books, but Limite is very specific to film in terms of its narrative and structure, its editing, and its great cinematography.

I was a big fan. But, I'd like to see it again.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home