A Reflection: Ganga Bruta
Gang Bruta, is an alternative perspective into what I understand Brazilian cinema to be. It was interesting but not surprising to find the lead roles as well as the supporting roles appear only of white European descent. At no point within the film is there an actor or actress that appears to be of African or Native origin, a decision I'm sure can be attributed to Hollywood's ideal aesthetic of the time (Blonde and Fair). Also presented within the context of the film (possibly more passive then the female and male outward aesthetic) is the familiar presence of Hollywood's archetypal male and female roles.
:The urgently sought after "damsel in distress", needs a strong level headed man to save her not only from clear and hidden danger, but also from herself.
The other question I pondered with at the commencement of the film, is whether or not the central plot is simply a flashback (backstory to what led to the murder in the opening scene) or is the last scene of the film just an erie coincidence?
:The urgently sought after "damsel in distress", needs a strong level headed man to save her not only from clear and hidden danger, but also from herself.
The other question I pondered with at the commencement of the film, is whether or not the central plot is simply a flashback (backstory to what led to the murder in the opening scene) or is the last scene of the film just an erie coincidence?

1 Comments:
I was also wondering if the whole film was a flashback after the murder. As we discussed in class, the translated lines make it appear that he is moving to a new area to start his life over. However, the strikingly similar appearance between his dead wife and his future wife seem too close to call it a coincidence.
Post a Comment
<< Home