Saturday, February 24, 2007

Vidas Secas

I can post again hurrah!!!! It just depends now if i have something intelligent to say so here goes. I really liked Vidas Secas, it was affectionate and touching yet completely real. I thought that the father character was interesting, he was stepped on and treated like dirt and was completely pathetic but you just felt sympathy for him. There is a universality in his character and as a western audience we watch films like Garden State and Angelas Ashes and there is a general malaise towards the fathers but there is no real addressing if what if your father tried really hard and was just stepped on all his life. I think that we can draw inspiration from Vidas Secas in contemporary cinema and address this with questions like in the 21st century what exactly is a father? or men in general?

2 Comments:

Blogger Tati said...

"I really liked Vidas Secas, it was affectionate and touching yet completely real."

What do you mean when you say affectionate?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Patrick Kolb said...

I enjoyed it, and I know it was real, but seriously, I don't need to watch this family cruising around without saying anything for 20 minutes to know that they are walking a long ways. That was really my only gripe. I thought the acting was fantastic, especially the father and the children, but I just couldn't get as into it as i would have liked to because it seemed to drag on so slowly, especially the beginning. Did anyone else feel that way?

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home