Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cool Ass Family

So again like Red Light Bandit I did not like this film. I dont think i was supposed to, the outlook so bleak in this film. Aesthetically it had a lot more to say than Red Light Bandit, i think the photos told a story and/or juxtaposed with the family. The family seemed to be telling a story and as was mentioned in class today specifically gender roles. It feels like a family whose roles sometimes switch a forewarning of Brazils future perhaps. The woman is the mother and father, the second in command is the man in trunks and he is the maybe sexually abusive father, while the "child" mumbles through, i thought because he is not being looked after properly by his parents. It is like the child struggles because he is not being looked after by his parents, the parents are unorganised because they are looked after by the state? And then that is juxtaposed with photos of military and religous officals. The one striking thing i found about this film was that sexuality was rampant. The Dad sleeping with the son, the actor from Macuniama singing and being incredibly flamboyant asks interesting questions of what gay rights were at this time. Other than that this film had some other notable features the long takes, the music and the cuts. Some must be due to monatery constraints, others maybe to mess with our heads and i think questioning what our definition of film language is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tati said...

We talked a bit about the reversal of roles and how the woman had the power. I didn't feel that way at all. The only exception was in the beginning when she coaxed one of the men into the room, but in every other situation, she screams and growls to no avail. And if in fact the two men were gay, then I don't know how much power the woman really had. It's sad to say, but I think that is how typically, in the few instances where women do have power over men (in movies, specifically), it is usually in sexual circumstances. This is not possible here. So, though I think there are many reversals and possible critiques the movie is making, I do not support the claim that the females have power over the men.


I probably didn't need to post this as a comment...

7:26 PM  
Blogger jimmyjazz said...

I agree that women are not seen as powerful in this film and this is because of one shot that stuck out for me. It is the very long take of a women doing a very traditional and stereotypical act which is ironing clothes. The length of this take further shows how mundane this task is and of how little importance it is.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I felt relieved when this film was over. It really wore on my nerves to watch it. Obviously it was making some sort of critique on cinema and was very self aware of itself however I'm not sure what exactly it is trying to say if anything other than challenging the viewer to keep watching. The scene early on with the woman ironing seemed to go on forever! Oh my god, you could feel the relief in the room when the image finally changed to something else. Also I have to agree that I didn't see how it was portraying a role reversal for women? I don't see how going around screeching and yelling nonsense and growling has given her any sort of power - if anything it makes her annoying and a nag. Also going back to the woman doing the boring chore of ironing - I don't see that as aquiring any sense of power.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home