Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Plantation Boy

The discussion after the film gave me a better idea of what I had just seen. I had not thought that it was the child's memories of what was going on, per se, but more of an interpretation of what the child's memories were, though that might be the same thing. Despite the fact that I obviously am not as clear as I thought I was on this film, I thought it was haunting and sweet. It was interesting and touching to see the different facets of his family and how they embraced him and to also see them through his eyes and memories. There were so many small moments that became magnified simply because they were captured on film and deemed important enough for the camera to linger around. I love films and filmmakers who use part of their time to show things that aren't essential to the plot but are essential top the feel of the film and to understand who these characters are so the moments we share with them feel like what it would feel like if we shared a once in a lifetime moment with a character. As for a lack of a central dramatic question, I'm glad to see films that kind of scoff at that way of film making and instead paint a picture that stands on its own and lets you make your own experience out of it. I particularly liked looking back at someones child hood because it brought me back to the great and sad times of my childhood. The film seemed long even though it really wasn't, and this is due to the strategy of pacing the filmmaker decided to take, which I'm fine with. I think for a film to drag a little bit is a good sacrifice for the feel that it was going for, which, in my opinion, it suceeded fairly well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home