Plantation Boy.
I have to say i didnt really like this film. I found the story all over the place. There wasn't really an explanation of the murder at the beginning, too many characters drifted in and out and there didnt seem to be a central dramatic question. Visually it was great, with the opening sequence a great example of Limas intuitive camera direction. I would have preferred a clear theme or motif and for Lima to run with that instead of making the story too expansive when it really didnt need to be.

2 Comments:
Plantation Boy was pretty good. You know, when I heard that someone from the brazilian counsulate was like, "oh wow, I loved that movie" I instantly assumed that there would be a generational gap. One that I would not instantly appreciate. I can see the simularities between this and Italian neo-realism. I mean, these people don't necessarily look like actors and it was definately a real sugar plantain. The most interesting thing is that this is his first film. Still, black god white devil is more impressive to me, perhaps because I saw it first. So far the last three movies are oddly similar, however, that means I have to see them again.
I was much more reminded of French New wave than Italian Neo-Realism. But I liked it, as Gabe had pointed out, the beginning was great, and I was liking it until about midway through, then at the end, I was quite satisfied with it. The tempo of the whole thing was kind of cool. The end certainly has a lot of time elapsed, and I am particularly thinking of the scene where he masturbates with the plant/tree. That was surrounded by a ton of shots that really epitomized the transition from childhood to adulthood. Maybe that is one of the reasons I thought of French New Wave.
I was thinking about God and the Devil in the Land of the Sun and I really did not like the score. I can't think of any other movie that has the music describing the story as it happens, except maybe in a comedy: There's Something About Mary. I started to smirk every time they restated "Killer of Cangaceiros" over that not-so-good guitar line.
Post a Comment
<< Home