Monday, February 26, 2007

Sao Paulo, Brazil has great trains.


I recently stumbled onto a web site through digg.com that ranked the top 11 underground transit systems and the Sao Paulo Metro was ranked #11 (Chicago Transit Authority was not mentioned). According to the blurb it is one of the cleanest and safest systems in the world. Not exactly what I would call the Red Line.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gabe Klinger said...

The São Paulo subway is indeed awesome! Thanks for posting about this. You never hear about much crime happening on it, and the coverage in terms of routes and stops is pretty decent considering the city is nearly three times the size of Manhattan and all the boroughs.
The Rio de Janeiro subway, on the other hand, seems to have more limited city coverage, although I rode on it a lot the last time I was there and also found it pleasant.
Not surprising that the CTA doesn't make the cut.

5:48 PM  
Blogger John said...

This was something that i was wondering about as well. I know that all places in the world have safe... and not so safe places. most of us know where to be, and not to be when bad things happen. For example i was coming home from MI on the Amtrak and it was late as usual..1:30AM late. So no cabs were in sight and i decided to walk to the red line and take the L home to Wilson. Well in the process of coming home i got mugged on the L at knife point! I got shoved around and slammed into the seats on the L but i did not get cut and he ran off without getting anything of mine. This is why i was not in class last week. Even though Chicago for the most part is a safe cit i was wondering if any other cultures have this problem. Thinking about this class i remember seeing City of God when it came out and how violent things were and if there public trans was safe or not.
From Gabes comment, its nice to know that if you travel you can be safe. But my question to Gabe is, as foreigner, would i be at risk more than a local? I really would hate to get mugged again.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Eduardo Ramos said...

John

I can't speak for Gabe, but coming from where I was born and from around where I still visit...it's not so much that you're a foreigner that makes you a target in Rio, but that you may be a foreigner who appears to have come from a higher social class. That's really what might set you apart from others.

As for the public transportation in Brazil...I wouldn't go as far as saying it is safe...because although the subways are usually fine alternatives, the local/city buses, for example can be extremely dangerous forms of transportation.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home