A Reflection: National Identity in American Cinema
As the Face and Voice of America continues to change the definition of “American” transforms as well. This truth is also reflected in American cinema of today where filmmakers are emerging from all different ethnic and religious backgrounds and re-defining what was once know as “An All American Movie”. Because America continues to rapidly evolve culturally, it is impossible to deny the stories and perspectives of all Americans.
Although I am aware that all films can not directly address social and cultural issues of the time, it is important that filmmakers embrace and recognize the need for diversity in perspective and voice in American cinema. Films like Babel, Pans Labyrinth, Children of Men, and The Last King of Scotland should serve as examples of what Americans are today want to see.
My hope and goal as a filmmaker is to use my “voice” as a platform for those who are silenced and unheard.
Although I am aware that all films can not directly address social and cultural issues of the time, it is important that filmmakers embrace and recognize the need for diversity in perspective and voice in American cinema. Films like Babel, Pans Labyrinth, Children of Men, and The Last King of Scotland should serve as examples of what Americans are today want to see.
My hope and goal as a filmmaker is to use my “voice” as a platform for those who are silenced and unheard.

2 Comments:
Americans for the most part seem to be sheltered from the rest of the world, especially in regards to the media. I always laugh a little when I see "international news" on MSNBC or FOX and all the links deal with Iraq or the war on terror. That's our international news?
In regards to cinema, it is exciting to see a growing audience for films that delve into other cultures. I hope it continues to increase.
I know that people in my family hate subtitles, and I always try to get them to appreciate films that push the norm for them. It hasn't really worked yet.
Dave,
I've always found the news coverage here in the U.S. to be among the worst I've seen in any country I've been to. It's a very ethnocentric medium right now.
It's to the point where I don't even bother anymore, and get my news from other avenues.
Post a Comment
<< Home